Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Fun with Decoupage

My sweet oldest baby girl is now 11 years old.  It's hard for me to wrap my head around how this happy little toddler could possibly already be a "tween!"  Ugh!  To celebrate her birthday, she wanted a slumber party with a "Night in Paris" theme.  I came up with an art project for the girls, in keeping with the theme.

Using flat canvases (available in packs of 8 at Michael's), we made decoupage collages with antique papers, old sheet music, French-themed scrapbooking papers, and all sorts of fun embellishments (including lace, of course!).  Here's the sample that I made so the girls could see a finished project:


I did several layers of paper, used lots of distressing ink, added lace and flower trims, and at the very end, embellished with bronze-colored Stickles (I love that stuff). The whole process took a couple of days, so that each layer had time to dry.

Here's the busy project table that the girls used at the party:


And here's the birthday girl's project, almost finished:

This was a fun, multi-step project that kept the girls busy in small doses over the course of the evening.  I think they enjoyed it, and their artwork really looked fabulous!

All that said, if anyone has a magic potion that will turn my tween back into a 5-year-old, please pass it along!

4 comments:

  1. What a super great idea for the party. It all looks so beautiful and I'm sure the girls had a blast.
    xxx
    Marlene

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea! Thank you!
    happy 11~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday to your tween. Sounds like a wonderful celebration and crafting event. Sunshine Summer Smiles...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Alison! I received one of your tags in Karla's Birdsong tag swap. I have pictures posted on my blog today: ZunkyChic.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Shop my Etsy Store!

Shop Kari's Etsy Store: Pixie Dust Linens!

25 Days of Christmas Stitchalong Flickr Group

www.flickr.com
items in 25 Days of Christmas Stitchalong More in 25 Days of Christmas Stitchalong pool

Copyright Information

Copyright 2008-2011. Photos, text and artwork are property of Alison Creed. All rights reserved. Content of this site may not be reproduced in any manner without written permission, but please feel free to link back to this blog. Thank you.

Black & White Petite Box Swap

Black & White Petite Box Swap

Counting My Blessings Stitchalong!

Paris Petite Box Swap

Paris Petite Box Swap

Join the Party!

39 Squares

Secret Garden Swap!

www.flickr.com
This is a Flickr badge showing public photos and videos from dishyvintage. Make your own badge here.

Dishy Vintage's Fan Box

Blogs I Love